Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Lincecum According to Bengie Molina

(From something posted by Alex Pavlovic on 6/25/12 by Daniel Brown of the Mercury News)

"What stands out to me is his body language," said former batterymate, Bengie Molina.

What's the difference between the Lincecum you're seeing this year and the one you used to catch?  Obviously, this is easy to say because he was doing good then, but when I was there his body language never changed. He gave up a few walks. He gave up a few hits. But his demeanor was, 'I'm going after you no matter what. If I give up a hit or a homer, the next guy better watch out.'

That's the kind of approach he had.

Now,  it's a little different because he's struggling a little bit.  And you know what? Struggling in San Francisco is giving up three runs.  It's different from everywhere else. If you take those three runs and go some place else, he might not be struggling. He might win the game.

In his last start, Lincecum gave up 3 early runs, then finished up with 5 hitless innings. Manager Bruce Bochy said it was because Lincecum got mad and took control. He said he started pitching with attitude.

Exactly.  That's what I'm trying to tell you: He did that all the time. No matter if he gave up a double, no matter if he gave up anything. He was taking charge of the game. He was the guy that you had to beat. He didn't beat himself.

In the games that I've seen that he's lost, it's because he's beat himself. It wasn't like an (opponent) took it to him... If you don't have that confidence and if you don't have that fight in you, I think it's really easy for you to lose the game.

Right now, it's in his mind. It's all in his head. As soon as he gets over that hump, as soon as he changes his thinking, you guys are going to see the same guy who dominated. That kid is unbelievable.

I was talking to my brothers about this because Jose (Molina, also a catcher) is not doing so well, either, in Tampa. I told them: It's not the work you're doing, because you're doing everything you can- it's the mental part.

Rafael Palmeiro, in 2000, saw me when I was down. I got a weak hit and I got to first base and, in Spanish, he asked me how I was doing. I said, 'I'm OK, I wish I could hit better.'

And Palmeiro said, "The way I see it, when you come from the on-deck circle, you're coming up all beat up already. You don't come with confidence. When you come up from the on-deck circle, you're The Man out there. The pitcher has to get you out. You don't get yourself out- they have to get you out."

It's a mind game. It seriously is.

(Another point of view about a kid we're all rooting for.)

Kevin J. Marquez