Thursday, December 23, 2010

Getting Better All the Time

In every Sporting News there is the section Since You Asked (You have questions, they have answers) and in the December 6, 2010 edition I found one question particularly fascinating, as well as hopeful (for us San Francisco Giants' fans).

Question: It has been a long time since we've seen a baseball player who disrupts the game the way Maury Wills did, whose presence in every at-bat had the potential to be game-changing. Are there any current players he believes can dominate the playing field in the way he did?

Answer: Maury Wills, 1962 MVP, 5-time All-Star

There are some who have the talent, the ability. But if I want to put it bluntly, I would say they just don't want to work that hard. They're just not interested in doing that. There are a lot of talented players who have speed and quickness, I don't know if they get on base.

Carl Crawford is my No.1 guy when I start naming people. He's outstanding. I'd like to meet him in-person. I can't say anything but good things about him.

Jimmy Rollins from Philly, but I think he's interested in hitting the long ball, too. He could cause some havoc getting on base.

One of my proteges, Shane Victorino. I worked with him one-on-one. He and I still communicate now and then. He could be that kind of player.

Let me name one other-Emmanuel Burriss, with the Giants. He could be that kind of a player. I would love to work with him.

(Calling all Giants' scouts, coaches and front office people. The man who could wreak the kind of havoc Wills did, on the bases, MAURY WILLS, would like to work with our very own Emmanuel Burriss. Somebody make this happen!)

(thanks to TSN for the thoughts)

Kevin J. Marquez