Saturday, May 23, 2009

May 23, This Day in Baseball

I'm sorry, but after reading Bruce Jenkins' article about the Giants, not to expect anything until 2011, I went right back to the history books. And after listening to them, on the radio, and how they have fared at the plate (in both San Diego and Seattle) Bruce probably has a beat on something. Even if he's a beat off.

Hope for the 2009 season is dwindling rather quickly even if it is only May 23rd.

This day in baseball...

On May 23rd, 1926, Hack Wilson, Lewis Robert Wilson, of the Chicago Cubs belted a homer off the scoreboard at Wrigley Field. At the time of the homer, the scoreboard was situated at ground level. Wilson became the first player to hit a ball off the scoreboard, which in 1937, will be moved atop the newly built bleachers.

On May 23, 1948, Joltin' Joe DiMaggio hit 3 consecutive home runs in a 6-5 win over the Cleveland Indians. Two of the homers were hit off of Rapid Robert Feller.

May 23, 1970: The San Diego Padres and San Francisco Giants battled for 15 innings with the Padres winning 17-16. Nate Colbert led the Padres with 5 hits and 4 RBIs. This was a day I recall as if it were yesterday. I recall getting in the car after Saturday church and hearing that Clyde King got fired and the new manager was Charlie Fox. I looked it up and King was let go in 1970 with Fox being his replacement. The unfortunate thing was this was King's 46th birthday, as he was born in 1924.

How is it I was able to recall this date and look it up because I had just enough facts to check it out? Because I'm a Giants fan and will always be a fan of the Gigantes/Giants.

It's refreshing to know not all of my memories are distorted. And even though Bruce Jenkins has reasons to believe the Giants will keep it close to the vest, come trading time, I still hold out hope the orange and black can turn it around like the Padres of San Diego have recently exhibited.

With me, hope springs eternal through the merry month of May and hopefully past the month of June when the Giants are known to swoon.

Keep the faith, Giants fans.

(thanks to Baseball-Reference.com for the day in baseball facts)

Kevin Marquez