Monday, February 20, 2012

A Tribute to Henry Gibson

Henry Gibson, of Rowan & Martin's "Laugh In" from 1966-1973, would recite poetry each episode. He'd stand straight up and be holding some type of flower as he would recite some of the most awkward poetry ever heard by mankind.  But it was funny. 

Baseball. With it's pastoral setting so plush,
Baseball removes all the trifling stuff.
Baseball has times when one team calls the other's bluff.
I wouldn't mind being a fluffer (in the off-season)
Me around surgically-endowed women in the buff
I don't think I could get enough...

Baseball.
I would not like to take anyone's guff, especially the ump.
But  I would soothe the player whose pop-up was muffed,
Or when a ground ball takes a bounce that's tough.  
But when the game gets too rough
I would look forward to the post-game puff.
Knowing that only a victory
could take every mishap or error, up to snuff.

**********************************

An Ode to Candlestick Park  (words by Lennon and McCartney)

There are places I remember
All my life.
Though some have changed,
Some forever not for better.

Some have gone and some remain.
All these places had their moments...

My first big league ballgame was to see the Philadelphia Phillies play the Giants at Candlestick Park.  I think the year was 1964.  The Phillies had an All-Star named Johnny Callison, who wore the number 6.  He hit a ball that struck the yellow line that was pained atop the cyclone fence back in the day at Candlestick and remained in the park for a triple.

Later in the game, Willie Mays hit a home run.

I remember seeing both balls soar in the sky and land in such a majestic manner.  That feeling never left me.  Seeing the game from the upper deck was always something I enjoyed tremendously.  And it taught me to judge the trajectory of the ball so well that I don't ever recall jumping out of my seat prematurely thinking the fly was a homer.  I could always tell when one would leave the field of play (in fair territory) and one that would fall hopelessly shy either at the warning track or on the outfield grass.

Watching someone on the other team do something that I had never seen before (a triple!) and then bearing witness to the things Willie Mays did on the baseball diamond.  Wow, the little boy in me still smiles when reflecting on this memory.

Welcome to the 2012 Major League Baseball season.


Kevin J. Marquez