Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Who Asked Ya?

There was an article in ESPN magazine entitled We're All Born Naked. A lot of ballplayers prefer to stay that way. And there was a picture of Willie Mays during his New York Giant days with his shirt off and a smile next to 1954 World Series hero, Dusty Rhodes.

Baseball is known for it's wacky players. Seven and sometimes eight months together (if you're good enough to reach the postseason) will bring the zaniness out of some individuals. And as long as it works for the chemistry of a team, helps them get along and understand one another's needs then I see it as being all good.

Some excerpts from the aforementioned article...

...I'll show up at the (batting) cage and the guy throwing to me has on his birthday suit. Let me tell you, nothing tests your focus more than trying to hit a baseball thrown by a man with his junk hanging out.

Dining areas tend to be favorite spots for a bout of spontaneous nudity. I can't tell you how many times I've heard my name called as I'm eating a plate of spaghetti, only to turn around to see a teammate's bare ass in my face. It's disgusting, but I take it in stride because it makes others guys laugh. And when you're laughing , you're usually playing well.

Don't want to answer questions? Leave your clothes off. Chances are reporters won't come near you. If I really feel like messing with the beat guys, I'll wear a shirt and nothing else. Especially if they've been writing negative stuff about me. At first they think it's safe to approach, until they realize it's not.

I know of one American League pitcher who is so consumed with the size of his penis-he thinks it's too small- that he is constantly screaming, "Look what God did to me!"

***************************
Mayne Street, an article by Kenny Mayne with Brian Wilson.

How often are you asked about sharing a name with a famous Beach Boy?
"At least 7 times a day. Now I just say, 'I am him. I'm done with music and now I've started playing baseball.' I've also said he's my uncle."

***************************
For the Philadelphia Phillies in the National League Championship Series, do the Giants adjust the roster?

And as far as playing time, is Pablo Sandoval going to see time or is it Mike Fontenot or bust?
And since Pablo's being punished for not fielding or hitting, where does that leave the struggling Juan Uribe?

Who asked Ya?

I say you play a player according to how well he has done when facing a particular pitcher.
If Aaron Rowand has success against Cole Hamels, you start him. If Pablo hits Roy Halladay you insert him into the lineup. The Giants need to score runs to ease some of the pressure off of their pitchers.

During the regular season, Eli Whiteside hit a homer off of Halladay. He should be the first player considered as a pinch-hitter if the situation calls for such a move. Don't forget, Pablo has caught. If Posey were to get dinged and Whiteside was already used, you still have the Panda. Don't discount the Panda. He may have some magic yet to add to this 2010 season.

(thanks to ESPN mag for the "naked" takes. A slice of (baseball) life.)

Kevin J. Marquez